Nutley Bowling Club is believed to have been formed in 1915 and is situated in the village of Nutley, East Sussex. The rinks were originally to be found just off the main A22 behind the building known then as the Nutley Inn, then later as The Shelley Arms. The building is now a large private house with a small adjacent development of dwellings in what were once the gardens of the property.
In 1947 the club moved its premises to the ground behind Littlemead at the other end of the village, premises that at the time were owned by Mr. Fred Tyler.
In the mid 1980’s the ground was purchased by the Nutley War Memorial Hall Trust, and the Club is now a tenant of the Trust.
Nutley Bowling Club is not funded by the local authority, and therefore is responsible for its own finances.
With four rinks in a most attractive setting of trees, hedges, flowering shrubs and beds and patio pots, the Club offers one of the most pleasant of such premises in the area. There is a fine pavilion built and cared for by the members that offers an ideal venue for teas for which the Club is justly famous. A spacious paved patio outside the Clubhouse is an excellent area for visitors and non-players to sit and watch the matches.
Although we are a small club, we are very friendly. One of our members is a qualified coach and therefore tuition is available.
We have the normal facilities provided within our pavilion where for home games we entertain our visitors with refreshments.
The Club is open from April to September each year, the greens and gardens lovingly tended by members, this care continuing throughout the non-playing months to ensure that everything is kept in tip-top condition.
There is a full summer programme of rinks and triples.